Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Praying for Djibouti: A 365 Day Global Prayer Journey - May 9 (Day 130)

Djibouti is perhaps the hottest, driest place on earth, with an average temperature of 86 degrees and only 5.1 inches of precipitation annually. The physical and spiritual needs are immense. What better place for God to pour out His life-giving, nourishing Spirit. Please read about this country and its precious people on pages 304-306.

There are so many needs to pray for in Djibouti. With a 50-80% unemployment rate, widespread famine, and growing trafficking, prostitution, and drug abuse, Djibouti's spiritual dryness is evident. Thankfully God is working among some immigrant groups and there is stirring toward interest among the natives who are predominantly Muslim.

Our prayer time could go many directions today, but as I prepared I really sensed God speaking to me through David's words when he was in a desert. David knew something of dryness - both literal and spiritual - when he penned these words. Think about it: God in His sovereign creativity could have made our entire earth a temperate zone. Yet at whatever point, He allowed this earth to reflect extremes of hot and cold, mountains and valleys, oceans and deserts. When I imagine myself, like David, in a literal desert, parched and thirsty, I understand my soul-thirst for the Living Water. As we pray for Djibouti today, I want to lift up these words of David over that dry and thirsty land - a land that needs practical solutions delivered with the love of Christ so they can know the well that never runs dry.
Psalm 63:1-5 NIV - A psalm of David. When he was in the Desert of Judah. O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands.  My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you.
 My prayer for today: Oh Lord, Jesus, fountain of Living Water, come and flood Djibouti with Your powerful, life-giving presence. They need You desperately, and many do not realize how thirsty they are. Lord, I pray for You to deliver them from deadly salt water of false belief systems, and provide them with the deep, clean, healthy water of Your presence. Let them behold You in the sanctuary, to see Your power and glory. Let them glorify You because they see Your love is better than life itself. Let them praise You mightily and lift their hands to You. Bring satisfaction to their souls and glory to Your name. In the precious name of Jesus, amen.
John 7:37-39 NIV - On the last and greatest day of the Feast, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him." By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified.

 


No comments: