Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Steadfastness

Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. (Jam 1:2-4 ESV)

As I read these words this morning, I had one of those "Aha!" moments - you know, the ones where you realize something you should have known all along.

What I saw in the text was that steadfastness - which comes as a result of testing - results in us being perfect ("mature") and complete, lacking nothing. In other words, as I "hang in there", somehow I have all I need. This echoes 2 Peter 1:3: We have all we need for life and godliness in Christ Jesus!

How often I want the "perfect, complete, lacking in nothing" without the steadfastness! It's like my current weight loss goal. I want to be at that final weight. I really, really want to have this weight loss journey behind me. I don't want to figure up what percentage of my goal I'm at - I want to be able to say "I lost xx pounds." And yet, I can't get there without the steadfastness. It's the weekly losses of 1/2 pound, 1 pound, 2 pounds, that add up over time. And those are achieved by the daily choices, one small decision at a time. A salad instead of chips here, turning down the cheesecake there ... it all matters. I can't reach the goal without the steadfastness required along the way.

And that's what the "perfect, complete, lacking in nothing" part is all about. I frequently joke that I wish I were the person I am in my quiet time ... the one with an understanding of theological truth that is so excited about applying it. Not the one who snaps at the car rental company because I only have 5 minutes to solve a problem at work. I want to have arrived. God wants to get me there.

And trials are part of the process. For me and for you, those trials that James exhorts us to count as joy are tools that God uses to produce that steadfastness which results in that maturity we so desire. If I look back over my journey with God, I see a lot of things that I wouldn't have chosen. But I also see a lot of growth that I wouldn't trade for anything.

And so I rejoice ... even in trials. May He bless you to do the same tonight.

No comments: