Friday, April 25, 2008

Open Doors and Shut Mouths

“And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: ‘The words of the holy one, the true one, who has the key of David, who opens and no one will shut, who shuts and no one opens.

“‘I know your works. Behold, I have set before you an open door, which no one is able to shut. I know that you have but little power, and yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name. Behold, I will make those of the synagogue of Satan who say that they are Jews and are not, but lie—behold, I will make them come and bow down before your feet and they will learn that I have loved you. Because you have kept my word about patient endurance, I will keep you from the hour of trial that is coming on the whole world, to try those who dwell on the earth. I am coming soon. Hold fast what you have, so that no one may seize your crown. The one who conquers, I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God. Never shall he go out of it, and I will write on him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which comes down from my God out of heaven, and my own new name. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.’(Rev. 3:7-13, ESV)


It's great to know that the advance of the kingdom doesn't depend upon us.

The words of Jesus to the church at Philadelphia remind us that when we feel the pressure of having just a "little strength", there is a Power moving that is above the fray of earthly struggles. And even more amazingly, this Power is both personal and loving.

When God opens a door, no one can shut it, and when He shuts one, no one can open it. But one of the most amazing things that jumped out to me today when I read this passage is what that while He is opening and closing doors for a tender church with just a little strength, He is also encouraging them about His personal love for them. In fact, He makes an amazing promise: "they will learn that I have loved you."

Wow. He isn't just going to advance the kingdom despite their lack of strength. He is going to make sure that His love for them is evident. I couldn't help but think how this echoes the principle David observed in the beloved 23rd Psalm: "You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies" (v. 5). He doesn't promise us a lack of trials or opposition, but the theme underscored by both David and John writing under the inspiration of God is that our relationship with Him will be obvious, even to our opposition. Even to our oppressors.

Peter addressed the issue of our interactions with the opposition as well. 1 Peter 2:15 tells us that our right actions in the face of their abuse will shut their mouths: "For this is the will of God, that by doing good you should put to silence the ignorance of foolish people." What I learn from the principles of David, John, and Peter is that when we are so focused on our relationship with God, and the love He has for us, then we will be able to do what is right and even our opposition will know that the relationship is deep, real, and loving. And they will be silenced. Maybe not on earth - but in the heavenlies, none of their arguments will have merit. God will have shut their mouths with His love - and what He shuts, no one can open.

Watch for open doors today. And trust Him to shut mouths.

No comments: