Wednesday, April 02, 2008

"Just do what you can"

Through him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of our lips, acknowledging his name. And do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for God is pleased with such sacrifices. (Heb. 13:15-16, NET)

James turned my spiritual world upside down. A 4 1/2 month study of the book (summary notes are on my other blog, http://worldchristianfoundations.blogspot.com) drove home to me like never before the importance of practical Christianity.

And then I got overwhelmed. Once aware of the needs and the importance of meeting them, I began to see problems at the societal level, issues that I couldn't begin to figure out how to tackle in a practical manner. Even some personal ministry opportunities God gave me seemed to be over my head!

And then God brought me to this wonderful passage in Hebrews. Oddly enough, the admonition to "share what you have" brought me great encouragement as I realized - aha! God doesn't expect me to share what I don't have! And He doesn't expect me to do what only He can do. He calls me not to what I can't do, but to what I can.

Sometimes that is a lot, and sometimes it's a little. Always it involves love. Always it is practical. Always I should pray. And always, I should trust Him that it is enough. Jesus didn't ask the boy to provide food for 5000. He just took what was offered, and made it sufficient.

It's pride that says if it's going to get done, I must do it. Humble trust simply says "Lord, here's what I can do. You take it from here."

What is overwhelming you tonight? Are you perhaps focusing on what you can't do? Try the lesson I'm learning - seek to do what you can. Give what you have. He never asked you to multiple the loaves and fishes - just to be willing to share them.

No comments: