Saturday, February 09, 2008

Taking Refuge in Love

As for me, I will sing about your strength;
I will praise your loyal love in the morning.
For you are my refuge
and my place of shelter when I face trouble.

You are my source of strength! I will sing praises to you!
For God is my refuge, the God who loves me. (Ps. 59:16-17, NET)


There's something wonderful about knowing that the God who is our refuge is also the God who loves us. It's a reminder to me that He doesn't protect us out of duty, obligation, or responsibility -- He protects us out of love.

So often we view God like the great policeman of the universe. Sure, we can run to Him for refuge, and we can entrust Him to bring about justice -- but we act as though He might get tired of this role, as if He would do so begrudgingly. Worse, we respond to His refuge with a sense of entitlement, as someone due a handout. We forget that refuge is, ultimately, about relationship.

The refuge God provides is more like that of a loving Father, one who longs to wrap His children in His arms and shield them from their enemies. It's not His duty, it's His delight.

What trouble are you facing today? Embrace the truth that the God who is your refuge is the God who loves you. Delight in running to Him as He delights in shielding you!

No comments: