Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Sad news about Cyd

Do not be afraid of the things you are about to suffer. The devil is about to have some of you thrown into prison so you may be tested, and you will experience suffering for ten days. Remain faithful even to the point of death, and I will give you the crown that is life itself. (Rev. 2:10)

Thanks to an alert blog reader I have an update from ARLDF. Unfortunately it is a sad one.

Update: Feb 26th, 2008
We are deeply grieved to report the apparent deaths of Muhammad Hadi and Cyd Mizell, Asian Rural Life Development Foundation workers who were kidnapped by gunmen Jan. 26 in Kandahar, Afghanistan.

Although we have no confirmation of their deaths, we have received information over the past few days indicating that our two aid workers have been killed.

Hadi, a resident of Kandahar, had served as an ARLDF driver for two years. Known by colleagues as a “kind, loving man,” he was the father of five children, ages 6 to 15.

Mizell, 50, a native of Eureka, Calif., dedicated her life to serving the people of Afghanistan. Since 2005 she had lived in Kandahar, where she taught English to high school students and helped women learn income-producing skills such as sewing and embroidery. She also assisted in other ARLDF-related efforts in the area, which include food-for-work projects, irrigation, rehabilitation, health care and restoration projects.

We are thankful for the efforts of local government other authorities during this crisis.

Our prayers are with the families of Hadi and Mizell. We regret that we are unable to respond individually to your calls and e-mails of concern. We will continue to post more information on our Web site (http://www.arldf.net/) as it becomes available.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rosa,

Was sorry to have to let you know that. I've appreciated your messages to Cyd, I know she would have appreciated them, as well (except for the fact that she would have been mortified at the amount of international attention :)

I really must ask, for curiousity is getting the best...I just this evening noticed on The Big Picture the reference to William Carey International University. Are you there? One of my best friends and also another close friend of Cyd's is getting married there this Saturday. I was bummed that it just didn't work out for me to be there with/for him. As it turns out, I'm on the road all this week and my wife, who loved Cyd dearly and is taking this hard, would have been even more upset had I arrived back home Thursday evening and flown to Pasadena Friday morning. The Lord is so gracious in his sovereignty. Thank you again for you precious words over the past weeks.

g
glenn.smith@lva.virginia.gov

Rosa said...

Hi Glenn,

Yes, I'm a student in WCIU's Global Civilization Master's Program ... which is the purpose of The Big Picture, to "teach" portions of what I am learning which is a requirement of the coursework...unfortunately I am way behind but plan to get caught up in March. The purpose of Treasure in Earthen Vessels is encouragement to missionaries, and that is a passion of my heart. I do hope to become more faithful over at The Big Picture, but it will remain more for the purpose of school.

I'm sorry this is so hard on your wife. However I am sure she feels blessed to have known Cyd.

Thanks for posting!

Rosa