Sunday, September 30, 2007

"Save yourself and us!"

The words of the first thief echo through history. His approach to Jesus was accusatory, demanding: "Are you not the Christ? Save yourself and us!" (Luke 23:39).

It's interesting to look at the crucifixion narratives and see how many times people in the scene use the word "save". The onlooker, the rulers, the soldiers, the first criminal. Everybody with his own sense of meaning of the term - and none realizing that they were looking at Salvation Himself.

Only the second thief seems to have a glimpse of this truth prior to Jesus' death. He doesn't even ask for "salvation", only that Jesus "remember me when you come into your kingdom". Jesus exceeds his expectations - as He is so prone to do - by telling him, "today you will be with me in Paradise" (see Luke 23:39-43).

God has convicted me, as I see myself in the words of the first thief. How many times have I insisted that God fix a situation? How often have I crossed the line from faith to presumption? When have I been focused on being saved, rather than on Salvation Himself? When have I claimed a victory for the kingdom - "save yourself" - when my real motive was selfish?

Only God knows the burdens that lie on your shoulders. Only He sees the trials you face under your very roofs. Learn from the thieves on the cross. Don't focus on demanding that He "fix it" - that He "save Himself". Instead, look to Him as Salvation Himself ... trust Him as the second thief did, to remember you. He'll always be more than you're expecting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent!