Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Rest for your soul

I can barely stay awake.

I'm not sure why, but as I was studying tonight I just kept falling asleep. After repeated attempts to focus, I finally yielded to what my body is apparently telling me, and decided to call it an early night.

Rest is hard! I think of what is undone ... the studies tonight, or another time housework, phone calls, a meaningful project. Yet I've been around enough to know that if I don't take rest, my body will force it on me!

Rest is such a biblical principle. God "rested" on the Sabbath, and gave the Sabbath principle to man for our sake, not His. Rest is carried through into the New Testament as a reminder that in Christ, we rest in faith from a works-oriented religion (Heb. 4). But one of the most poignant words on rest is from the mouth of Jesus Himself:

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Matt. 11:28-30

He promises rest - it's part of following Him! Rest of legalism, to be sure ... but also rest from the endless cycle of feeling that success is up to us ... that this ministry is up to me ... that this person or that church will suffer mightily if I take a night, a week, a year off. Not as an excuse for laziness, but as a serious effort at following Christ in obedience when He calls us aside for rest.

Despite my willingness to press on and my sincere efforts to stay awake, my fatigue tonight tells me He is calling me aside for rest. Is He asking the same of you - maybe for a season? Learn from Him in the ministry of rest.

Sometimes it's the most spiritual thing we can do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rosa...

I was just sitting down for a time with him, and something prompted me to check your blog. In reading this one entry... God continued to re-emphasized many things through this entry. That verse..He has given for my season ahead, especially coming to Him...and learning from Him. But I guess He knew that when He led me to this today. :) Amazing how he uses us in each others life. If we only knew... :) Thanks for the reminder today.
love, stacy

Rosa said...

You have blessed me by your response! Praying for you ... Rosa

Anonymous said...

I wonder if perhaps we don't do more damage to the cause of Christ
because of insistence to 'keep up
the fight' when we are dead dog tired and 'snapping' & 'snarling'
much like a mad dog. Yup, rest is
often just what the doc (Great Physican") orders. Too bad that is
so hard for some of us to learn.