Saturday, June 23, 2018

Lessons from Caregiving #7: Make Sure Your Soul Prospers

Beloved, I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers. - 3 John 2


(This post is part of a series. For previous posts in the series please see #1#2., #3#4#5, #6)


As I walk this caregiver journey, I've lost count of how many times I have been told - by medical professionals - "take care of yourself because YOU can't get sick". As if I have control over that! "Take care of yourself" often becomes a trite phrase. Self-care is easy to carry to one extreme or the other - ignoring one's health to the point of detriment, or excusing selfish behaviors in the guise of self-care. 

That's one reason John's prayer for Gaius in this passage grabs me. His first prayer is for his prosperity and health. Isn't that awesome - Biblical permission to pray that each other stays healthy! I love it - but as we will see, this doesn't come in a vacuum. Gaius is very busy with the work of the kingdom, and he is very intentional to maintain the most important prosperity of all - prosperity of the soul. John acknowledges the importance of spiritual health to our overall well-being. When we hope for physical health we should hope it matches our spiritual health. Some of us think that would be pretty cool. Others are thinking we'd better work on that spiritual health! Which is exactly the point. 

I asked God what is the opposite of a prosperous soul? I believe He spoke to my heart that it would be desolation of spirit. What gives a person prosperity of soul, versus desolation of spirit? I meditated on that question for myself and came up with a few things that I can hold on to during this season: 
  • Trusting God (Isa. 17 makes that one crystal clear)
  • Nature
  • Worship Music
  • Church Services
  • Being in constant conversation with Him 
  • Reading (other dementia caregivers - see suggested resources below)
  • Connecting with friends that build my faith - and being honest with them about my needs and struggles
  • Receiving ministry from others and participating in ministry to the degree I can, even if it looks different (being part of the body of Christ)
  • Touchpoints on visions God has given me for the future - that heart for ministry to international women that He hasn't taken away even during this season
  • Watching over the temple He gave me (eating right, etc.)
  • Rest, and falling asleep talking to Him


What I've learned is that if I focus on "not getting sick" then I am stressed. If I focus on prosperity of soul - including eating right and getting rest - then I can pray along with John that I will prosper and be in good health, just as my soul prospers.

Suggested resources for dementia caregivers: 


No comments: