Thursday, May 17, 2018

Lessons from Caregiving #2: The Power of the Spirit

Therefore we do not despair, but even if our physical body is wearing away, our inner person is being renewed day by day. For our momentary, light suffering is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison because we are not looking at what can be seen but at what cannot be seen. For what can be seen is temporary, but what cannot be seen is eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:16-18 NET 

(This post is part of a series. For previous posts in the series please see #1.)

One of the most powerful lessons I am learning is the incredible power of the Holy Spirit in the life of a believer.

One of the ways that this disease has affected my sweet husband the most is by making him much less verbal, unable to think of words or express words he is thinking of. Depending on the day, he may or may not be confused about what he is hearing as well. It's easy for me to despair, thinking that this disease is stealing so much of what I have loved for the past 24 years.

But when I look past the temporary, I see the truth of Paul's words to the Corinthians. My husband's inner person is being renewed daily by the Holy Spirit. I see it when he maintains his quiet time habit, even when he doesn't understand the words he is reading. I see it when he tears up or outright weeps at worship songs, when he is having a silent day but starts randomly singing "I'll Fly Away" or joining in with our music. Even when he lacks the words to pray, I see it when he makes the effort, and Paul's words to the Romans take on new meaning:
Romans 8:26-27 NET (26) In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness, for we do not know how we should pray, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with inexpressible groanings. (27) And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes on behalf of the saints according to God's will.
As I struggled through a season of prayers that seemed unanswered and weeks when I didn't hear from the Lord, I watched him continue to love Jesus with the simple faith that has always been so powerful to me. Gradually my prayers shifted. Instead of praying for a specific outcome, I started praying for his spiritual life. I started praying for him to continue to hear Christ's voice, for him to bring honor to Jesus in this season, and so much more. I grabbed Scriptures that drew my attention to the eternal, and I pray them daily.

In the process, I learned a powerful truth. Dementia can steal a lot of things, but it can't steal his faith. Jesus meant it when He promised that nothing can separate us from God's love or take us out of His hands when we belong to Him. The cross truly has the final word.
John 10:27-30 NLT (27) "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. (28) I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them away from me, (29) for my Father has given them to me, and he is more powerful than anyone else. No one can snatch them from the Father's hand. (30) The Father and I are one."
Romans 8:38-39 NLT - (38) And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God's love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow--not even the powers of hell can separate us from God's love. (39) No power in the sky above or in the earth below--indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.





No comments: