Monday, December 10, 2007

Untold Mercies

Sometimes, a tragic event drives home the truth of a Scripture in a way that all the in-depth study in the world can't achieve.

This past week's tragedies in Omaha, Denver, and Colorado Springs, have me thinking of God's untold mercies. In every situation, the evil result was not as intense as the perpetrators planned. In each case, God's hand of mercy can be seen. In Denver, for example, imagine the bloodletting if the gunman had been allowed to spend the night. In Colorado Springs, the police chief estimates that 100 lives were saved because the gunman was killed by a security guard. Yes, the battle is real - and in these situations we do well to remind ourselves that our struggle is not against flesh and blood but against spiritual forces. But in every situation, the truth of God's mercy shines through the darkness.

Jeremiah knew great tragedy. He watched his beloved city be crushed underfoot in judgment. And yet he received great promises of mercy in the midst of trial. This principle is one I've come to appreciate much more this week. He wrote in Lam. 3:19-24: Remember my affliction and my wanderings,the wormwood and the gall! My soul continually remembers it and is bowed down within me. But this I call to mind,and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning;great is your faithfulness. “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul,“therefore I will hope in him.”

Corrie ten Boom used to describe it this way: Scripture tells us that God's mercies are new every morning, and invites us to cast our cares on Him daily. She pictured herself bringing a suitcase full of burdens (heavy rocks), and walking away with His mercies (balloons). The problem we get into is that we frequently go back and pick up the suitcase!

Call it to mind as often as you need to in these trying days: God never stops showing steadfast love (a covenant term, by the way - His special love for His covenant people). He never stops demonstrating mercy, never stops being faithful. In Him there is always hope.

No comments: