Sunday, December 02, 2007

Guidance vs. Transformation

And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit. 2 Cor. 3:18

Most people realize they need guidance.

Christians, adherents of other religions, even outright atheists, all recognize the importance of guidance. The modern generic "higher power" is an indication that we need direction at times. Most people readily admit they don't have all the answers.

Where Christianity is different, though, lies in the recognition that what we really need is transformation. We need to be what, in our natural state, we are not. It's one of the fundamental differences between Christianity and other world belief systems.

This morning our pastor outlined Romans 1:18-32. He pointed out that the clear message of that passage screams the need for the "good news" Paul has just bragged about in verses 16-17. It's easy to use this section of Romans to condemn groups of people. Paul instead uses it as one significant pillar in his argument that this "good news" is for all people. We all need transformation.

The sad thing is that as I read and studied yesterday about belief systems - many of which you work among -that deny our need for transformation and focus only on guidance, I thought about how easy it is for us to fall into the same trap. "Lord, show me what to do" is a lot easier to pray than "Lord, I'm a mess, fix me." If He's guiding me, then I'm still doing something! If I have to rely on His transforming power, then I'm reminded that it really is not about me, after all.

The more I study God's word, the more I realize that the nature of this transformation is God creating a worshiper ... someone who loves Him more than sin, who loves Him more than self, who even loves Him more than what He does! Ultimately, that is far superior to guidance. When He awakens my heart to see His beauty, and I respond in worship, the temptations of this world - of sin - fade into insignificance. Like Peter, James, and John on the mountaintop, I open my eyes and see nothing but Christ alone. No effort to build a tabernacle ... just pure worship.

Amazingly, when we see Him alone, we can better be transformed in His image "from glory to glory" as Paul says. For beholding leads to becoming. We can pursue Christlikeness all we want, and see His guidance for how to live, but until we are transformed into people who long to behold Him, we won't truly become like Him.

The lyrics of this song capture that idea perfectly. As you read, please know that among my many prayers for you in your service on the field, where you desperately need God's guidance daily, is that He will not only give you direction, but transform you daily into His image - a passionate worshiper of Him!

Here I am to Worship
Light of the world
You stepped down into darknes
Opened my eyes, let me see
Beauty that made this heart adore you
Hope of a life spent with you

And here I am to worship,
here I am to bow down,
here I am to say that you're my God
You're altogether lovely,altogether worthy,
altogether wonderful to me.

King of all days, oh, so highly exalted.
Glorious in heaven above.
Humbly you cameto the earth you created
All for love's sake became poor.

And here I am to worship,
here I am to bow down,
here I am to say that you're my God
You're altogether lovely,altogether worthy,
altogether wonderful to me.


I'll never know how much it cost
To see my sin upon that cross
I'll never know how much it cost
To see my sin upon that cross

No comments: