Monday, October 22, 2007

What are you seeking?

Before I can find something, I have to clearly know what I'm looking for - what I'm seeking. It's a simple principle, and one we apply without thinking in our natural lives. When my glasses are missing, I might mention that I need to find them so that my husband can help. When I've misplaced my favorite plate or can't find the brownie spatula, I clearly define what I'm seeking. I'm willing to bet that you're the same way. You probably never say, "I need help finding something" and then not describe it, or give a list of 20 things you're looking for. If you did, you might find a topsy-turvy mess on your hands as people turned out drawers and cabinets because something has to be in there somewhere!

So why do we miss this principle in our spiritual lives? So many of us are incredibly spiritually busy - we are seeking holiness, purity, righteousness, love, truth, discipline, unity in the body of Christ, a kingdom mindset, the salvation of a certain people group, a growing ministry - it gets tiring just thinking about all we're looking for ... about all we're doing to create a topsy-turvy mess for ourselves.

Jesus taught Mary & Martha that out of all the busy-ness, only one thing was needed - sitting at His feet. Without condemning Martha's busy-ness, He challenged her to FOCUS ... to define what she needed to seek. The answer was HIM.

I'm convinced that one reason that Jesus was so insistent on the needfulness of just being with Him is a principle found in 2 Cor. 3: 18-19: "And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit." Beholding leads to becoming. As we behold Him ... as we sit at His feet ... we will be transformed into His image. If we desire Christlikeness - purity, holiness, righteousness, a heart for the kingdom of God, love for His people - the absolute most important thing we can do is be with Him and behold Him.

On the field you face many of the same challenges I do here, but you also face the distraction of expectations. So many think you have "arrived" at a goal of "being a field worker" ... when the fact is, you are still seeking like the rest of us. In the busy-ness of your work, with the expectations of the church and your supporters, it's easy to find yourself turning things topsy-turvy to look for the wrong thing.

What are you looking for that is distracting you from seeking Him? Behold Him ... behold Him in the Gospel portraits. Behold Him in His Word. Behold Him in His heart reflected through others. Fix your gaze on Him, and watch how you develop a heart and become the very thing you are looking for!

No comments: