Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The radical, "out-there" life

Tonight I just want to thank you for being so radical!

You are living the kingdom-oriented life "out there" where it makes a difference daily. I'm reminded just how radical you are when I see our commercials and interviews on daily shows - when I hear of people saying that Americans "deserve to be pampered". You, of all people, know that is a lie.

I'm sorry for the people and churches here that believe that lie. I sincerely apologize to you for all the times you've been let down by building programs and fancy luncheons, instead of kingdom giving. I believe - at least I hope sincerely - that you have experienced more appreciation and support than a lack of it ... but I know that the times you're let down have been tough.

But faults and all, we're all in this together, and the body of Christ needs you out there, "doing the thing", to remind us that no, we don't deserve to be pampered. That we are blessed to be a blessing ... that the 1 billion people who live in nations that are developing backward (undeveloping?) or the 4 billion in the semi-developed world have needs ... that a child with a distended belly doesn't consider 3 meals a day being pampered ... that there are people who hide their faith behind a veil ... that a day when no one is killed by a land mine is a very good day indeed.

Keep reminding us. Please, make us very, very uncomfortable. Teach us what a radical lifestyle really means. Help us get "out there" with you.

And know that some of us are in the trenches with you, fighting in prayer for the battles you face daily.

No comments: