Friday, January 11, 2008

Centered

We hear a lot these days about being "centered".

There are some good uses, of course - without a "center", things fall apart. Houses, constructed items, even our bodies, have "centers" that keep things balanced.

But it's important to explore what we are centered ON.

A lot of my recent blog posts are about giving, serving, showing hospitality. That's because I'm 2 months into a 4 month study of James, and God is speaking strongly to me about practical acts of servant love. He knows that by nature I am a heavily doctrinal, theoretical, analytical person. A co-worker mentioned yesterday that he couldn't talk about religion for two hours. I remarked that I could - easily. But God is reminding me that He didn't save me so I could talk. He saved me so I can serve.

But the doctrinal foundation remains essential, and that is why service is never separated from study. We dig into Scripture, not to debate it but to live it out -- but never doubt the importance of digging in! Without it, we can easily focus on the temporal needs of people but not the larger eternal picture. And without proper centering, our service, giving, and hospitality can become burdensome acts of duty rather than delightful acts of love.

That's why I love reminders that we aren't called to live a service-centered life. We aren't called to live a giving-centered life, or a hospitality-centered life. Instead, we are called to a Christ-centered life, a cross-centered life. "Take up your cross and follow me", Jesus said. Without that taking and following, our service, giving, hospitality, our obedience and sacrifice ... everything we "do" ... will lack eternal significance. It will be wood, hay, and stubble (1 Cor. 3). It will become a duty, a source of pride or guilt. It will fail to glorify the One who showed us the way, and instead glorify ourselves, our churches, our social gospel. It will have some temporal impact, to be sure ... but will not bear fruit that remains. That only comes from abiding in Him.

If you are struggling in your service, your giving, your hospitality, or any other aspect of your walk with God - try re-centering on the cross of Christ, on the basics of the Gospel. John Newton reportedly said, "I know only two things: I am a great sinner, and Christ is a great Saviour." Relish those truths today. Be centered on the cross, and everything else will fall into place.

No comments: