Thursday, August 11, 2016

Because He Lives: The Perfect Bridegroom


THE PERFECT BRIDEGROOM

   (Part of a series sharing my devotional thoughts from almost two decades ago. For the back story & links to other posts, see the first post in the series.)
When I was a young girl, I dreamed of “Mr. Right” -- a special someone who one day would find me and fall instantly in love with me, a “knight on a white horse” who would sweep me off my feet with every romantic gesture I’d ever read about. After a beautifully perfect wedding, he would whisk me off on an ideal honeymoon and then carry me over the threshold of a big house designed especially with me in mind. Did you ever have such fantasies?
I don’t know how yours turned out, but my dreams were smashed. Instead of Mr. Right, I settled for Mr. Wrong. Rather than sweeping me off my feet, he sent me cringing and crying into the other room. A dark sadness overshadowed my beautiful wedding. The ideal honeymoon didn’t happen. And even though I was happy with the small apartment rather than my dreamed-of big house, even that would soon become filled with the pain of his abuse. My fantasy had turned into a nightmare. I know this is true of many women -- maybe even you.
Even if you are blessed with a wonderful husband, if you have been married any length of time you have discovered that although he may be Mr. Right for you, he is far from being Mr. Perfect. Humans have failings, and even the best of husbands are no exception!
But you know what? If you are a Christian you are part of the bride of Christ. You have a perfect Bridegroom. Your “knight on a white horse” is Jesus. Rev. 19:11, 16 make this clear: “And I saw heaven opened; and behold, a white horse, and He who sat upon it is called Faithful and True; and in righteousness He judges and wages war....And on His robe and on His thigh He has a name written, KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.”
When the church is presented to Jesus as His bride (and remember, if you are a Christian you are part of this bride), there will be a wedding feast to end all wedding feasts. Rev. 19:7-9 says, “‘Let us rejoice and be glad and give the glory to Him, for the marriage of the Lamb has come and His bride has made herself ready.’ And it was given to her to clothe herself in fine linen, bright and clean; for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints. And he said to me, ‘Write, “Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.”’ And he said to me, ‘These are true words of God.’”
Oh, how wonderful of God that among everything else Jesus is to us, He is also our perfect Bridegroom. One time when I was feeling overwhelmed with some things in my life, I sank into a chair for my quiet time, leaned back, and through my tears cried out to Jesus, “Lord, I want to be what you want me to be. I want to do what’s right. But I don’t even know where to begin.” Immediately He spoke the answer to my heart: “Just love Me, and let Me love you.” My heart rejoiced as I recognized the voice of my perfect Bridegroom speaking to His beloved.
All of those desires to love and be loved that we feel so deeply are from God, who first loved us (1 John 4:19). John 3:16 says that God loved us so much, He sent Jesus, and that whoever believes on Jesus will be saved. Romans 5:8 says, “But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.”
That unconditional love you’ve been looking for? It’s already there, in Christ who died for you. You will only find that unconditional love you’ve been looking for by inviting Jesus into your life. He is waiting.

No comments: