Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Because He Lives: The Best and Worst Things in my Life

THE BEST AND WORST THINGS IN MY LIFE
  (Part of a series sharing my devotional thoughts from almost two decades ago. For the back story & links to other posts, see the first post in the series.)

The worst thing that ever happened to me in my life was not the verbal, physical, emotional, or sexual abuse I have endured. It was not financial struggles, the death of a loved one, or illness. No, without a doubt, the worst thing that ever happened to me was walking 26 years of my life outside the fellowship of God. It was feeling hopeless and not realizing hope was one short prayer away. It was looking to man or to myself for solutions, and when they failed, denying the truth and living in a world where I did not admit the reality of how bad it was. I couldn’t admit something that overwhelming.
The best thing that ever happened to me was not being freed from the abuse ... or marrying my sweet husband ... or finding security and safety. The best thing that ever happened to me was reaching up and taking Jesus’ extended, nail-scarred hand, letting HIM wipe the tears from my eyes as I confessed my sin and need of a Savior, and walking with Him RIGHT INTO THE THRONE ROOM OF GOD and hearing God speak to my heart, “I’m here.” And He made me new.
Yes, the best thing that ever happened to me was seeing how He threw my sins into the sea, and how He was patiently waiting for me to let Him make me new.

“For God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners,
Christ died for us.”
Romans 5:8

“I, even I, am the one who wipes out your transgressions for My own sake; And I will not remember your sins.” Isaiah 43:25


“Behold, I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands.” Isa. 49:16a

No comments: