Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Wednesday of Holy Week: The sound of silence

I'm glad that there are no passages for Wednesday of Holy Week.

I know Jesus did things that day - there was a feast in town, and He was teaching His disciples. But God did not inspire any Gospel writer to record words for this day. And somehow, that relieves me.

There are days in my life when I go faithfully about what God has put before me, reading His Word and praying, without a specific word from Him. There are days that I wonder if He's disappeared from the picture, but I trust His Word enough to know He's present even when He's behind the scenes. I may want to know more about what's going on, but He knows that what's been revealed is sufficient.

We all have our Wednesdays of Holy Week - those silent times when we want to know more, or when we wish we had a word. Mother Teresa's lasted for years - she reported that God gave her a clear, powerful call to Calcutta, and then she served for years without a new word from Him to motivate her. St. John of the Cross called it "The Dark Night of the Soul."

And yet the darkness is not dark to Him. He is there. He is busy. And He will explode on the scene tomorrow with words more profound than we can imagine.

But for today, we wait on Him.

No comments: