Friday, March 21, 2008

Friday of Holy Week: "They all said, 'Let Him be crucified!'"

Evil, sin, that for which Jesus died, is depicted all around Jesus in the vignettes of the Gospels on this Good Friday. How can I condemn these people? I see myself in their faces:

Judas, the betrayer. I've never sold Jesus' life to an angry mob, but I have betrayed His trust. I've betrayed Him by my actions. I've demonstrated in my past that for all my claims to be a Christian, I truly didn't belong to Him. (Matt. 26:47-56) I also know what it's like to be remorseful, without truly having a transformation of heart (Matt. 27:3-6).

Peter, the denier. Shamefully, I know what it's like to be ashamed/embarassed/afraid to acknowledge my relationship with Christ, to have the desire to fit in surpass the desire to honor Him. (Mark 14:54-72).

The legalistic Pharisees. They were so careful to avoid being defiled on the Passover and to avoid breaking the law about the money Judas returned. But they missed the main point altogether by failing to realize who Jesus was. Like them, I know what it's like to practice self-righteous legalism instead of relationship with Him. (Matt. 27:7-10; John 18:28)

Pilate, the Placater. Pilate knew Jesus had done nothing wrong, but wanted to satisfy the crowd. How sadly I know that trap. (Mark 15:15)

The crowd. No one was guiltless here - the Scripture says they "all" cried out for His crucifixion (Matt. 27:22). The pressure to conform in a group is one I know all too well.

On this Good Friday, my thoughts are filled with the truth that the ground is level at the foot of the cross. I have no grounds to elevate myself above anyone else. In fact, true Christianity never does. Followers of Christ know where they've been, and how they got where they are. And that is why the positive vignettes are so encouraging:

Simon the Cyrenian. The picture of Simon is welcome relief in the evil that swirls around. Caught up in the scene, he participates in God's eternal plan without intending to. (Mark 15:20-23). Today I praise God that despite my place among all the sinners in this story, like Simon He called me on the road to the cross.

The Centurion. Jesus made it clear to Peter that awareness of who He is comes from God, and is not revealed by man. The centurion comes to that understanding as he observes the way Jesus died (Mark 15:38-41). Like Paul, the centurion represents that God can save even the worst of sinners.

The women and John at the cross. They didn't abandon Him at the end. And Jesus saw the needs and entrusted Mary and John to each other. How encouraging to know that if we perservere to the end, if we don't abandon Him, we will be blessed beyond measure. (John 19:25-27).

Joseph of Arimathea. We shouldn't doubt that Joseph's boldness came only from God. He became part of the fulfillment of prophecy when he gathered his courage and went to Pilate. God grants boldness when we need it - and that is good to know, so that I don't repeat the mistakes of my past when I failed to acknowledge Him. (Mark 15:42-46)

Grace, grace, and more grace. God's transforming grace changed me from one of the crowd to one at the cross. For that, I worship Him today.

No comments: