Saturday, July 28, 2007

"Like a weaned child"

O Lord, my heart is not lifted up;
my eyes are not raised too high;
I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me.
But I have calmed and quieted my soul,
like a weaned child with its mother;
like a weaned child is my soul within me.
(Psalm 131:1-2)

Sometimes in ministry there are things that happen that truly humble us. Someone tells us how much our words meant, and we can't remember what we said. Somebody introduces us and we wonder who they are talking about. Fruit comes on a day we feel far from God. We miss the opportunity to reach the one person we're praying hardest for. All of these serve to keep us humble.

The psalmist decided not to spend time trying to figure out things "too great and too marvelous for me". In a place of humility, he rests in God's presence. His soul is at peace.

Are you wondering how God can use you today? Allow the humility that comes from realizing the weaknesses of our flesh to draw you to God's side, resting in His presence like a weaned child. We don't have to have all the answers.

No comments: