Monday, February 25, 2008

Caught up in Christ

I confess -- I'm a political junkie. I actually watched or read transcripts of about 6 debates, before they started coming weekly. It's easy for me to get caught up in a cause. And to some extent in our society, that's okay, because we are the government so involvement in the system is part of honoring the "king".

But that's not why Jesus saved me, and I need to remember that.

Every governmental system - including democracy - is flawed. And in our democracy, there are Christians of every political stripe. And among people who agree with my causes, I will find Christians and non-Christians. If I think the success is in the result of the cause, then I have seriously missed the point.

Jesus never called me to be caught up in a cause. He wants me to be caught up in Him!

That was the error of the church of Ephesus.

“To the angel of the church in Ephesus, write the following:
“This is the solemn pronouncement of the one who has a firm grasp on the seen stars in his right hand – the one who walks among the seven golden lampstands: ‘I know your works as well as your labor and steadfast endurance, and that you cannot tolerate evil. You have even put to the test those who refer to themselves as apostles (but are not), and have discovered that they are false. I am also aware that you have persisted steadfastly, endured much for the sake of my name, and have not grown weary. But I have this against you: You have departed from your first love! Therefore, remember from what high state you have fallen and repent! Do the deeds you did at the first; if not, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place – that is, if you do not repent. But you do have this going for you: You hate what the Nicolaitans practice – practices I also hate. The one who has an ear had better hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who conquers, I will permit him to eat from the tree of life that is in the paradise of God.’"
Rev. 2:1-7

Ephesus had a lot of causes -- ones that many of our churches would laud. They were known for their stand against evil. They fought against false teaching and for truth. They even hated the right things. God agreed with the stances they took in those issues which they got caught up in.

The only problem is, they got caught up in the wrong things. Christ didn't want them to be caught up in issues - He wanted them to be caught up in Him. He wanted them to focus on their first love.

There are an unceasing number of good causes out there. Just this weekend I've been confronted with a growing error within the church, a satanic deception, a political issue, an international issue, and a debate within our town. I have opinions on all of these.

And yet as I lay in bed last night God spoke to me: Love. The greatest commandment isn't to have the right issues. It's to love God. Causes don't even make the second on the list - that's reserved for loving others. After spending 4 1/2 months in James, I understand that to mean practical acts of servant love - acts that transcend political issues.

I'm sure the early Christians had opinions on political issues of their day. There were causes then too. But when the story of their lives was written, the golden thread that tied everything together was their love. They were totally caught up in Christ - loving Him and loving others with His love. Emperors came and went, kingdoms rose and fell, and there they stayed, living the life that showed the reality of the message.

That's what it means to be caught up in Christ. No other compelling cause will ever come close.

No comments: