Friday, October 08, 2010

Parallel Lines


I learned a basic principle in high school geometry. When we studied parallel lines, someone asked if parallel lines ever meet because of the curvature of the earth. Our teacher explained that some mathematicians theorize that parallel lines do eventually meet somewhere in the universe, but not in a way we would ever see. She used the analogy of a railroad track to explain how parallel lines work from our perspective: We see that lines look like they are meeting, but when you get up to that point on the horizon, the parallel lines continue side by side. 

That principle was the same analogy that I heard early in my walk with God to explain the sovereignty of God and the free will of man. Like parallel lines, the two concepts go along together, meeting at some point beyond our human understanding. For years, the train track analogy helped me keep my questions about sovereignty and free will to a manageable level. I rested in Deut. 29:29 (NASB): "The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our sons forever, that we may observe all the words of this law."

Sometimes God surprises me with unexpected answers to questions I've chosen to leave in His hands. Today was one of those days. Reading John 14, I was first reminded of the link between obedience and love: Our love for God should result in our obedience to God - and conversely, our obedience to God should be motivated by love for God. A new insight, however, came from Jesus' words to His disciples regarding His own obedience to the Father:

John 14:30-31 (NET): "I will not speak with you much longer, for the ruler of this world is coming. He has no power over me, but I am doing just what the Father commanded me, so that the world may know that I love the Father."


God, in His sovereignty, planned the cross as His way of redeeming the world. Jesus, of His own free will and to show His love for the Father, submitted to the cross though He could have called legions of angels. Satan had his own evil purposes for the cross - destructive purposes. But in Jesus' total obedience to the Father, the cross became the place where the sovereignty of God and the free will of man met -- and the enemy's plans were stripped of their power. 

In my own life, when through the power of the Holy Spirit and motivated by love for God I submit to His plans over my own, I too can experience that meeting of sovereignty and free will. His will becomes my will, by my own choice. Love enables me to take up the cross on which I die to self. And once again, the enemy's plans are stripped of their power. 

I don't know of any way to experience this amazing meeting of sovereignty and free will apart from drawing closer to the place where it all started - closer to the cross. An old hymn has taken on new meaning for me today as I reflect on this new insight. May you be blessed by Caedmon's Call's fresh rendition of this old song. 


I am Thine oh Lord I have heard Thy voice and it told Thy love to me
But I long to rise in the arms of faith and be closer drawn to Thee

Draw me nearer nearer blessed Lord to the cross where Thou has died
Draw me nearer nearer nearer blessed Lord to Thine precious bleeding side

There are depths of love that I cannot know till I cross the narrow sea
There are heights of joy that I may not reach till I rest in peace with Thee

Draw me nearer nearer blessed Lord to the cross where Thou has died
Draw me nearer nearer nearer blessed Lord to Thine precious bleeding side

Consecrate me now to Thy service Lord by the power of grace divine
Let my soul look up with a steadfast hope and my will be lost in Thine

Draw me nearer nearer blessed Lord to the cross where Thou has died
Draw me nearer nearer blessed Lord to the cross where Thou has died

No comments: