Saturday, September 05, 2009

Isaiah 58: 1-2

Wow - it's been a long time! I am working on a graduate research paper (basically a thesis) and capstone project for school, so unfortunately this blog has taken a temporary back seat. However, I am currently memorizing Isa. 58 with a group of ladies and sharing devotional thoughts on each section we work on - so I thought I would cut and paste them here. Today's thought is on Isa. 58:1-2:

1 "Shout it aloud, do not hold back.
Raise your voice like a trumpet.
Declare to my people their rebellion
and to the house of Jacob their sins.

2 For day after day they seek me out;
they seem eager to know my ways
as if they were a nation that does what is right
and has not forsaken the commands of its God.
They ask me for just decisions
and seem eager for God to come near them.
------------------

God makes it clear: Isaiah is to deliver this prophetic word to His people, Israel. Furthermore, he is to deliver this message loudly! I don't know if Isaiah literally shouted this message, or if this is God's way of saying hey - don't miss this one. It's crucial. Regardless, the significance of the message is obvious.

These verses really serve as a summary of what God will address in the oracle to follow. Specifically, He will address issues of:
* Rebellion
* Sin
* Forsaking God's commands
* Seeking Him for guidance, justice, and nearness without living righteously

As I thought about this oracle, I wondered "what audience does this most apply to today?" It's easy to look at the word "nation" and immediately start thinking about our own country. It's easy to criticize modern-day Jews who still reject Messiah, since the passage is addressed to Israel. But the audience that I believe should hear this message first and foremost today is ... the church.

If we look at the scope of much of the Old Testament, we see it's not about only one people group or political nation. Instead, we see that it is the story of God's dealings with His people. Israel, the chosen people of God. Israel, blessed to be a blessing. Israel, from whom the Messiah would come. Israel, who was supposed to influence other nations rather than be influenced by them. Israel, who was supposed to show to the world the difference a relationship with God could make.

Who does that call go out to today? Not the United States. Not Jewish people. The church. We are the people of God, blessed to be a blessing. We are to influence those around us and show the difference a relationship with God can make.

So, I am studying Isa. 58 as a message to the church, corporately, and to me, specifically. Here are some questions I'm asking from verses 1-2:

* Where am I in rebellion?
* What sins do I need to confess?
* What commands have I forsaken?
* What do I expect from God that I want to receive without living righteously - "doing what is right"?
* Can I truly seek Him and His ways if I'm not willing to do the right thing when He reveals it?
* How can I help my church pursue what is right corporately, so that as we seek God's guidance, justice, and nearness, we are doing so from the right posture?

Tough questions - ones that make me so appreciate of the grace of God in my life. But grace is never an excuse for laziness. Titus 2:11-14 tells me that God's grace TEACHES me to deny ungodliness and live righteously. So as I read Isa. 58, what is He by His grace trying to teach me? That is the heart of my reflection on these first two verses.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good to have you back!!! Thanks for the good insights