Monday, September 15, 2008

Too Quiet!

I'm drowsy tonight, the result of a poor night's sleep Saturday for which I can thank Hurricane Ike. His remnants raced through Arkansas, causing minor damage and widespread power outages. Ours hit around 2 a.m. and I was awakened by the sound of silence.

I sleep with a fan next to the bed year-round -- a habit I've had for years. The silence instantly awakened me. I was a little warm without the trusty air conditioning, but that wasn't what kept me lying awake for an hour and sleeping fitfully for the rest of the night. It was the lack of background noise.

Somehow into my sleepy head drifted the thought: This reflects a spiritual problem that I have. I struggle to truly be still, silent with God. I'm so used to "background noise" in my life. My prayer time most days occurs while I'm getting my exercise walking; worship music is the backdrop of my day as its sounds fill my office as I'm working; even my Bible study time is filled with distractions from sleepiness to household needs to phone calls. I've gotten so used to "multi-tasking" in my relationship with God that I find it challenging to focus.

And yet that is exactly what He is calling me to. He wants to be honored by being the only thought in my mind ... the only thing on my agenda ... the only thing that is needful. He wants me to be able to rest in Him ... without the background noise.

He wants me to be still ... and know that He is God. And then I will see Him exalted among the nations!

No comments: