Saturday, August 09, 2008

Glimpses of Glory


I love the "parade of nations" at the Olympic opening ceremony. Despite my internal conflict over this year's Beijing Olympics, I found myself anxious to see each nation march proudly into the Bird's Nest.
My favorites are always the little nations, those with one or two or a handful of athletes. I always think they are so brave, so proud to be representing their homelands. There are always interesting stories too - such as this year's US flag-bearer, one of the "Lost Boys" of Sudan who emigrated to to US and now represents my country in the Olympics.
The world seems to love this part of the Olympics, I think I know why. It gives us glimpses of glory. It draws out from within us something that God put there when He set "eternity in our hearts". It is an earthly attempt at the heavenly in-gathering that will come at the end of the age, when every tribe, tongue, and nation will "parade" before His throne to worship Him.
On that day, there will be some with just a few represented. There will be fascinating stories - billions of them. And there will be more than the 204 countries represented in Beijing -- there will be people from every tribe, tongue, nation, and people group. But we won't be gathered to compete, because the race will be over.
And all our crowns and medals will be to cast at His feet.
After these things I looked, and here was an enormous crowd that no one could count, made up of persons from every nation, tribe, people, and language, standing before the throne and before the Lamb dressed in long white robes, and with palm branches in their hands. They were shouting out in a loud voice,
“Salvation belongs to our God,
to the one seated on the throne, and to the Lamb!”
Rev. 7:9-10

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome thought for sure!!!