Monday, May 16, 2022

As Jesus Walked: Christ Revealed in the Synoptic Gospels, #7: Ministry in Capernaum

 


(This post is part of a series. For previous posts in the series please see #1#2#3#4#5, #6)

After leaving His hometown, Jesus continues His ministry by going down to Capernaum. This town was a trading village and, being on the Sea of Galilee, attracted many fishermen as well as supporting industries. Jesus spent more time in Capernaum and the nearby region than in any other area, but we will see on this first recorded visit that His actions align with the Greek meaning of the city's name: "Village of Comfort." 

Jesus Visits Capernaum (Luke 4:31-41; Matthew 8:14-17)

Luke's account gives us a chronological account of Jesus' time in Capernaum. Entering the village, He begins to teach on the Sabbath. People recognize the authority of His teaching. He casts a demon out of a man without harming the man, and reports spread throughout the area - an easy task in a trading port. Yet just as His fame begins to increase, Jesus does the opposite of what human nature would suggest. Instead of finding a place for a large crowd, Jesus goes small and gets personal - He enters the home of Simon (Peter) and heals his mother-in-law. 

The woman immediately begins to serve those present, including Simon, Andrew, James and John. Apparently this miracle is shared as well, for we then see people coming to Him for healing and for casting out demons, fulfilling prophecies about the Messiah as Matthew's version below tells us. Jesus is comforting many in the "village of comfort." His ministry is growing and His fame is spreading. And then He goes small and gets personal again.


Two calls are mentioned in the Gospels - one by the side of the sea and another in the boat out on the Sea of Galilee. Rather than see this as different calls, it seems the Gospel writers view them as part of the same call. This should not be surprising; most of us who walk with Him can relate different stages of developing a relationship with Him and hearing His call over our lives. What seems most significant to me is that Jesus called them at all! He could have ministered alone, completing the work without the distractions that fallen humanity brings. He could have avoided the inevitable conflicts that would come with a diverse group of people from various walks of life. But He doesn't. Instead, He begins to build His church's foundation with four unlikely, rough, burly men who knew how to do one thing well: Fish. 

He also calls them together. These two sets of brothers, these four men, are called together. From the beginning, Jesus meant for His church to be built by people who rely on each other - whose differences become essential, despite all the challenges that brings. At the same time His call is deeply personal. He calls not in a generic, distant sense but in a personal, intimate one. We see this most obviously in the call to become "fishers of men" - calling them where they were, asking them to do something they knew how to do, in a different context. We see it also in a less obvious way. Jewish fishermen knew the size of the crew required to catch the hopefully half-ton of fish the boat held: Five. Four to row, and one to steer, supervise the catch, and watch for inclement weather. Based on Jesus' command to "Follow Me", these four fishermen would have known immediately that He would be the one commanding the boat. 

Lessons Learned

As noted in the previous posts,  I am seeking to frame my lessons learned, the "what does it mean for me" around four questions to help my theology meet my reality: 

  • What does this story teach me about Jesus and the life He gives? (1 John 1:1-2)
  • How does this story about Jesus reveal God to me? (Hebrews 1:1-3)
  • What does this story teach me about walking as Jesus walked, being conformed to His image? (2 Cor 3:18; 1 John 2:6)
  • How does this story increase my fellowship with God and others? (1 John 1:3-4

What does this story teach me about Jesus and the life He gives? 
His identity and character were revealed in the practical things He did for people (healing Peters' mother-in-law, casting out demons, healing others). He had a message - "repent and believe" - but never expected that message to be heard without corresponding actions. He entered the "village of comfort" to bring the comfort only He can provide.

How does this story about Jesus reveal God to me? 
He has authority over demons, including when and what they say. And yet He is intimately personal - at every stage, in every way, I can expect Him to speak and lead me in ways that sometimes only I will understand. I can expect the voice of my shepherd to be personal and, ultimately, comforting.

What does this story teach me about walking as Jesus walked, being conformed to His image?
Gospel proclamation must be partnered with Gospel actions. Jesus cared 
for people's spiritual needs without ignoring the physical (such as when the demon did not harm the man when Jesus cast him out). 

Additionally, just as He is personal with me, I should be personal with others. He didn't call with a formula - He didn't minister with a formula - and neither should I.

Finally, but perhaps most significantly to me, He saw the one. As His ministry grew, He intentionally chose at times to go small and focus on an individual or very small group of people. Years ago, God took me through a season where I had to learn lessons from obscurity. I've noticed that many people who have the deepest walks with the Lord have learned similar lessons. I'm learning again through this passage to keep my eyes open for the one.

How does this story increase my fellowship with God and others? 
He called us to walk with Him together. The apostles were from different backgrounds, sects of Judaism, social classes. But they followed Him as a group, not separately. Their differences would become essential to the mission of the church as time went on. Whatever He calls me to do, I should look for those He is partnering with me. He doesn't intend me to serve in isolation. He has someone to come alongside - even if it is just one, it will be sufficient for what He calls me to do in His strength and not my own.

No comments: