Monday, August 08, 2016

Because He Lives: Jesus Loves Me

JESUS LOVES ME
   (Part of a series sharing my devotional thoughts from almost two decades ago. For the back story & links to other posts, see the first post in the series.)

“Jesus loves me! This I know, for the Bible tells me so.
Little ones to Him belong; they are weak but He is strong.”

 This little song many of us sang as children tells us much of what we need to know about God. I am weak but He is strong. Jesus loves me. The Bible is true.
If you’ve been put off about Christianity because of doctrinal differences in churches, petty arguments, a fear you won’t be “religious-sounding” enough ... if you doubt that God really wants YOU ... go to John 3:16 for this foundational truth: “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.”
Beyond all debates about style of worship, spiritual gifts, who wrote this or that book of the Bible, baptism, church membership ... at the very core of everything that is Christianity is this basic truth: “Yes, Jesus loves me; Yes, Jesus loves me; Yes, Jesus loves me; the Bible tells me so.” Whatever you know or don’t know, never doubt this truth:

“Jesus loves me! He will stay close beside me all the way.
If I love Him, when I die He will take me home on high.”

Yes, Jesus loves YOU. He came to earth to be the perfect sacrifice for YOUR sins. His death makes it possible for YOU to have access to God’s throne -- and His resurrection holds for you the promise of eternal life with Him, if you believe in Him.
Becoming a Christian is simple: Romans 10:9 says “if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved.” Jesus already loves you. Just tell God that you accept that love, that you believe that He died for your sins and was resurrected, and that you want Him to come into your heart and be your Lord. God’s Word promises that He will answer.

Jesus loves me ... and you. The Bible tells us so.

No comments: