Sunday, November 02, 2008

Frustrated Intentions

Moses said to the Gadites and the Reubenites, “Must your brothers go to war while you remain here? Why do you frustrate the intent of the Israelites to cross over into the land which the Lord has given them? Your fathers did the same thing when I sent them from Kadesh Barnea to see the land. When they went up to the Eshcol Valley and saw the land, they frustrated the intent of the Israelites so that they did not enter the land that the Lord had given them." (Num. 32:6-9)

The tribes of Gad and Reuben liked the land on the east side of the Jordan. They couldn't imagine a better place for their cattle and were willing to give up their inheritance within the Promised Land for what was before their eyes.

Amazingly, God let them do it.

But God laid down clear lines - Gad and Reuben's decision wouldn't hinder the rest of Israel. This time, they would enter. Gad and Reuben could stay behind in the land they chose rather than taking what God intended for them - but not until they assisted with the conquest. Their position as His children wasn't questioned. They represent not unbelievers, but believers who simply settle for less.

You see, God doesn't force us to go all the way with Him. He will allow us to settle for less than what He has promised. But we have to realize that when we do so, we are frustrating the intentions of those in the body who want to claim all He has promised. And we are frustrating His intentions.

But He doesn't let us off the hook easily. We may miss out on personal blessings by staying in the security of the known, but He still calls us to assist others who are in the battle.

Don't get me wrong ... I'm not saying that only those who "go" or who are in full time ministry are in the battle. I believe with all my heart that God calls some to minister full time, some to go, some to be lights at secular universities and public schools, some to be in medicine and engineering and garbage collection - all for His glory. And all those people may be in the "land" of ministry God has for them, exercising spiritual gifts at work and in the church and fully entering what He has for them.

What I'm referring to are those who knowingly choose to linger back, sensing God's call to something unknown but choosing not to heed it. "I know God wants me to teach Sunday School, but I hate to miss the service once a month." "That job would be an awesome ministry opportunity, but I know all the people at this one and I'm such an introvert." "God has put that country on my heart, but I could never go because I'm scared of flying."

Those are the people who, like the tribes of Gad and Reuben, choose less than God's "land". I've been in that group at times - as I'm sure you have. And yet God's handling of the situation tells me - yes, God will let me have my preferences, but He isn't going to hold His plan back on my behalf. He still expects me to pray and give and fight for those willing to enter the fray. I can retreat then to my safety, but if I'm needed, I have to get on my knees or give and serve.

I have reached a point in my life where I pray I will never again let fear of the unknown hold me back from a ministry opportunity. I want all the "land" God has for me in His kingdom purposes - not for my own sake, but for His glory. I appreciate God's understanding and mercy when I asked to be held back. But even more, I love seeing Him at work when I'm not frustrating His intentions ... when I'm hearing Him march in the treetops above me and I know He is leading the battle and that I will soon watch and see the glory of the Lord!

No comments: