Monday, August 04, 2008

A New Path

I walked a new path last week.

While waiting on a friend, I took a path around a pond and into the woods - a path I didn't know existed. And as I did, I found myself reflecting on change and the paths of life.

Those of you who know me well understand that I am not an adventurous person. The whole "life is an adventure" approach has never had appeal for me. I avoid risk and struggle with change. (I stayed in my first full-time job 8 1/2 years, until God forced me out of the nest!)

But as I walked the path, I learned something of the joy of adventure. It was a journey of discovery, since I had no idea where the path led or ended, nor did I know what twists and turns it took along the way. And I found it unexpectedly - fun! I found myself wondering what was around the next bend.

The second round on the path had its own pleasures. I was able to pay better attention to things I missed the first time, and to look more carefully at things I only glimpsed first. But the walk made me realize that life truly can be enjoyable as an "adventure". I don't have to know the details, or even the outline, of the path. Instead, I can trust in the One who designed the path, and know that His ends are always good and for His glory.

If you're like me, you may be struggling to find joy in the journey today. If you're facing an unknown path, try trusting the Designer - and seek to pleasure of discovering where He leads.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters.
He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
(Psalm 23:1-3)

No comments: